- PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The categories of Customer Data we collect depend on how you and your Authorized Users interact with us (including whether you or your Authorized User is a property owner, applicant or resident), and the requirements of applicable law. We collect information that you and your Authorized Users provide to us, information we obtain automatically when you and your Authorized Users use our Services, and information from other sources such as third-party services and organizations, as described below. Please note, all data is considered Customer Data and subject to the Terms & Conditions above.
A. Information You Provide to Us Directly
We may collect the following personal information that you provide to us.
• Account Creation. We may collect information when you or your Authorized User creates an account, such as name, email address, postal address and phone number. Depending on which of our Services you and your Authorized Users may interact with, we may also collect gender, date of birth, financial, and other information.
• Your Communications with Us. We may collect personal information, such as email address, phone number, or mailing address when you and your Authorized Users request information about our Services, register for our newsletter or loyalty program, request customer or technical support, apply for a job, or otherwise communicate with us.
• Surveys. We may contact you and your Authorized Users to participate in surveys. If you and your Authorized Users decide to participate, you and your Authorized Users may be asked to provide certain information which may include personal information.
• Interactive Features. We and others who use our Services may collect personal information that you and your Authorized Users submit or make available through our interactive features. Any information you provide using the public sharing features of the Services (referred to herein as “User Content”) will be considered “public,” unless otherwise required by applicable law, and is not subject to the privacy protections referenced herein.
B. Information Collected Automatically
We may collect personal information automatically when you use our Services:
• Automatic Data Collection. We may collect certain information automatically when you and your Authorized Users use our Services, such as Internet protocol (IP) address, user settings, MAC address, cookie identifiers, mobile carrier, mobile advertising and other unique identifiers, browser or device information, location information (including approximate location derived from IP address), and Internet service provider. We may also automatically collect information regarding your and your Authorized Users’ use of our Services, such as pages that you and your Authorized Users visited before, during and after using our Services, information about the links you and your Authorized Users click, the types of content you and your Authorized Users interact with, the frequency and duration of your and your Authorized Users’ activities, and other information about how you and your Authorized Users use our Services.
• Location Information. We may collect precise location information, such as GPS coordinates if you and your Authorized Users enable location services on your and your Authorized Users’ devices in order to improve and personalize the Services.
Our uses of these Technologies fall into the following general categories:
• Operationally Necessary. Technologies that allow you and your Authorized Users access to our Services, applications, and tools that are required to identify irregular website behavior, prevent fraudulent activity and improve security or that allow you to make use of our functionality;
• Performance-Related. We may use Technologies to assess the performance of our Services, including as part of our analytic practices to help us understand how individuals use our Services (see Analytics below);
• Functionality-Related. We may use Technologies that allow us to offer you enhanced functionality when accessing or using our Services. This may include identifying you and your Authorized Users when you and your Authorized Users sign into our Services, or keeping track of your or your Authorized Users’ specified preferences, interests, or past items viewed;
• Advertising- or Targeting-Related. We may use first party or third-party Technologies to deliver content, including ads relevant to your or your Authorized Users’ interests, on our Services or on third-party websites. See “Your Privacy Choices and Rights” below to understand your choices regarding these Technologies.
• Analytics. We may use Technologies and other third-party tools to process analytics information on our Services.
- HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use your information for a variety of business purposes, including to provide our Services, for administrative purposes, and to market our products and Services, as described below.
A. Provide Our Services
We use your information to fulfill our contract with you and provide you with our Services, such as:
• Managing your information and accounts;
• Providing access to certain areas, functionalities, and features of our Services;
• Answering requests for customer or technical support;
• Communicating with you and your Authorized Users about your account, activities on our Services, and policy changes;
• Processing your financial information and other payment methods for products or Services purchased;
B. Administrative Purposes
We use your and your Authorized Users’ information for various administrative purposes, such as:
• Pursuing our legitimate interests such as direct marketing, research and development (including marketing research), network and information security, and fraud prevention;
• Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity;
• Measuring interest and engagement in our Services;
• Short-term, transient use, such as contextual customization of ads;
• Improving, upgrading or enhancing our Services;
• Developing new products and Services;
• Ensuring internal quality control and safety;
• Authenticating and verifying individual identities, including requests to exercise your and your Authorized Users’ rights under this policy;
• Debugging to identify and repair errors with our Services;
• Auditing relating to interactions, transactions and other compliance activities;
• Enforcing our agreements and policies; and
• Complying with our legal obligations.
C. Other Purposes
We also use your information for other purposes as requested by you or as permitted by applicable law.
• Consent. We may use personal information for other purposes that are clearly disclosed to you and your Authorized Users at the time you or your Authorized Users provide personal information or with your or your Authorized Users’ consent.
• Automated Decision Making. We may engage in automated decision making, including profiling. Mezo’s processing of your or your Authorized Users’ personal information will not result in a decision based solely on automated processing that significantly affects you or your Authorized Users unless (a) such a decision is necessary as part of our Agreement; (b) we have your consent; or (c) we are permitted by law to engage in such automated decision making. If you have questions about our automated decision making, you may contact us as set forth in “Contact Us” below.
• De-identified and Aggregated Information. We may use personal information and other information about you and your Authorized Users to create de-identified and/or aggregated information, such as de-identified demographic information, de-identified location information, information about the device from which you or your Authorized Users access our Services, or other analyses we create.
• Share Content with Friends or Colleagues. Our Services may offer various tools and functionalities. For example, our referral services may allow you or your Authorized Users to forward or share certain content with a friend or colleague, such as an email inviting your Authorized Users’ friends to use our Services. Please only share with us contact information of people with whom you or your Authorized Users have a relationship (e.g., relative, friend neighbor, or co-worker).
- HOW WE DISCLOSE INFORMATION
We disclose your and your Authorized Users’ information to third parties for a variety of business purposes, including to provide our Services, to protect us or others, or in the event of a major business transaction such as a merger, sale, or asset transfer, as described below.
A. Other Purposes
The categories of third parties with whom we may share your information are described below.
• Service Providers. We may share your and your Authorized Users’ personal information with our third-party service providers who use that information to help us provide our Services. This includes service providers that provide us with IT support, hosting, payment processing, customer service, and related services.
• Business Partners. We may share your and your Authorized Users’ personal information with business partners to provide you and your Authorized Users with a product or service you or your Authorized Users request. We may also share your personal information to business partners with whom we jointly offer products or services.
• Affiliates. We may share your personal information with our company affiliates.
• Owners and Residents. If you or your Authorized User is a prospective, current or past resident, we may share your or your Authorized Users’ personal information with the owner in order to provide the Services. Additionally, if you are an owner, we may share your entity name with residents as needed in Legal Rent Demand Notices, or otherwise as necessary to provide the Services.
• APIs/SDKs. We may use third-party Application Program Interfaces (“APIs”) and Software Development Kits (“SDKs”) as part of the functionality of our Services. For more information about our use of APIs and SDKs, please contact us as set forth in “Contact Us” below.
B. Disclosures to Protect Us or Others
We may access, preserve, and disclose any information we store associated with you to external parties if we, in good faith, believe doing so is required or appropriate to: comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; protect your, your Authorized Users’, our, or others’ rights, property, or safety; enforce our policies or contracts; collect amounts owed to us; or assist with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity.
C. Disclosure in the Event of Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers
If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, purchase or sale of assets, or transition of service to another provider, your information may be sold or transferred as part of such a transaction, as permitted by law and/or contract.
- YOUR PRIVACY CHOICES AND RIGHTS
Your Privacy Choices. The privacy choices you and your Authorized Users may have about your and your Authorized Users’ personal information are determined by applicable law and are described below.
• Text Messages. You and your Authorized Users may opt out of receiving text messages from us by following the instructions in the text message you have received from us or by otherwise contacting us.
• Mobile Devices. We may send you or your Authorized Users push notifications through our mobile application. You and your Authorized Users may opt out from receiving these push notifications by changing the settings on your or your Authorized Users’ mobile devices. With your or your Authorized Users consent, we may also collect precise location-based information via our mobile application. You and your Authorized Users may opt out of this collection by changing the settings on your or your Authorized Users’ mobile devices.
• “Do Not Track.” Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. Please note that we do not respond to or honor DNT signals or similar mechanisms transmitted by web browsers.
Your Privacy Rights. In accordance with applicable law, you and your Authorized Users may have the right to:
• Access Personal Information, including: (i) confirming whether we are processing your or your Authorized Users’ personal information; (ii) obtaining access to or a copy of your or your Authorized Users’ personal information; and (iii) receiving an electronic copy of personal information that you or your Authorized Users have provided to us, or asking us to send that information to another company (the “right of data portability”);
• Request Correction of your or your Authorized Users’ personal information where it is inaccurate or incomplete. In some cases, we may provide self-service tools that enable you and your Authorized Users to update your and their personal information;
• Request Deletion of your or your Authorized Users’ personal information;
• Request Restriction of or Object to our processing of your or your Authorized Users personal information; and
• Withdraw your or your Authorized Users’ Consent to our processing of your or their personal information.
If you or your Authorized Users would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us as set forth in “Contact Us” below. We will process such requests in accordance with applicable laws.
- SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
By using our Services or providing personal information to us, you and your Authorized Users agree that we may communicate with you and your Authorized Users electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your or their use of our Services. If we learn of a security system’s breach, we may attempt to notify you and your Authorized Users electronically by posting a notice on our Services, by mail or by sending an email.
- INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
All information processed by us may be transferred, processed, and stored anywhere in the world, including, but not limited to, the United States or other countries, which may have data protection laws that are different from the laws where you and your Authorized Users live. We endeavor to safeguard your and your Authorized Users’ information consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.
- RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- SUPPLEMENTAL NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
This Supplemental California Privacy Notice only applies to our processing of personal information that is subject to the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”). The CCPA provides California residents with the right to know what categories of personal information Mezo has collected about them and whether Mezo disclosed that personal information for a business purpose (e.g., to a service provider) in the preceding 12 months. California residents can find this information below:
A. Categories of Personal Information Collected:
• Identifiers: A real name, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, or other similar identifiers.
• Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)): A name, signature, Social Security number, address,
telephone number, passport number, driver's license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information.
• Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law: Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), veteran or military status.
• Commercial information: Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
• Internet or other electronic network activity: Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement.
• Geolocation data: Physical location or movements.
• Professional or employment-related information: Current or past job history or performance evaluations.
• Inferences drawn from other personal information to create a profile about a consumer: Profile reflecting a consumer's preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, and attitudes.
The categories of sources from which we collect personal information and our business and commercial purposes for using personal information are set forth in “Personal Information We Collect” and “How We Use Your Personal Information” above, respectively.
• “Sales” of Personal Information under the CCPA: For purposes of the CCPA, Mezo does not “sell” personal information, nor do we have actual knowledge of any “sale” of personal information of minors under 16 years of age.
B. Additional Privacy Rights for California Residents
• Non-Discrimination. California residents have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of their rights conferred by the CCPA.
• Authorized Agent. Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child. To designate an authorized agent, please contact us as set forth in “Contact Us” below and provide written authorization signed by you and your designated agent.
• Verification. To protect your privacy, we will take the following steps to verify your identity before fulfilling your request. When you make a request, we will ask you to provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative, which may include asking you to answer questions regarding your account and use of our Services. If you are a California resident and would like to exercise any of your rights under the CCPA, please contact us as set forth in “Contact Us” below. We will process such requests in accordance with applicable laws.
• Refer and Earn Programs. As described above in How We Use Your Personal Information (“Share Content with Friends or Colleagues”), we may offer referral programs. We may offer incentives to you such as discounts or promotional credit in connection with these programs, wherein you provide personal information regarding your friends or colleagues (such as their email address) and receive rewards when they sign up to use our Services. (The referred party may also receive rewards for signing up via your referral.) These referral programs are entirely voluntary and allow us to grow our business and provide additional benefits to you. The value of the referred party’s data to us depends on whether the referred party ultimately becomes an owner and uses our Services. Said value will be reflected in the incentive offered for each referral.
• California Shine the Light. The California “Shine the Light” law permits users who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, information about the personal information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. If applicable, this information would include a list of the categories of personal information that was shared and the names and addresses of all third parties with which we shared information in the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, contact us as described in “Contact Us” below.
- OTHER PROVISIONS
• Supervisory Authority. If you are located in the European Economic Area, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or Brazil, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority if you believe our processing of your personal information violates applicable law.
- CONTACT US
1165 North Clark Street Suite 700
Chicago, Illinois 60610